Friday, October 7, 2016

Catcher in the Cab

There are many ways to write a story. Many different methods an author or director can use to express a certain mood. When I finished to book, The Catcher in the Rye, by J. D. Salinger, a part of the story that stuck out to me was the interaction between Holden and Horowitz during the cab scene. I wanted to use this scene to express my thoughts on the story. In order to do this, I wrote a screenplay based on this scene. I used this method because screenplays are able to express moods through images and scenes better than many other sources. The conversation between Horowitz and Holden is able to show Holden's fame of mind during the story, and using the setting I was able to enforce the idea that Holden is isolated and alone in his life. As shone in the dialogue between him and Horowitz right before Holden exits the cab.

HOLDEN
Would you care to stop off and have
a drink with me somewhere?
MCU-HORWITZ
HORWITZ
(hesitates)
5.

HORWITZ
I ain’t got no time for no liquor,
bud. How the hell old are you,
anyways? Why ain’tcha home in bed?
CU-Holden
Holden Looks down
HOLDEN
I’m not tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment